Monday, June 16, 2008

10 Favorite Books

I didn't always enjoy reading. My youth pastor and his wife instilled in me the thought that there is always more to learn and somehow God has given me the desire to learn of him. When I dropped out of school I sensed that I would need to become a reader. The picture of A.W. Tozer on his knees praying that God helps him understand what he was reading has always inspired me. Evelyn Underhill's statement that there is no spiritual growth without spiritual reading has always challenged me. I read at least one hour per day and up to 4 or 5 books at a time. My reading philosophy is some books are meant to be chewed, some swallowed and some digested. Here are 10 books that I've digested...

1. MY UPTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST - Oswald Chambers
My youth pastor would speak from this almost every Wednesday night. He then passed on the devotional to all of us in the youth group. I still use it today.

2. THE PURSUIT OF GOD - A.W. Tozer
My bones burn when I read this book. I feel Tozer's passion in his writings.

3. THE RAGAMUFFIN GOSPEL - Brennan Manning
The heart of the gospel. God's love for perfectionists like me whose cheese is falling off their cracker.

4. CELEBRATION OF DISCIPLINE - Richard Foster
All is grace, even the discipline to receive more. An oft used resource.

5. FRESH WIND, FRESH FIRE - Jim Cymbala
My family has visited his church and experienced the prayers that bring radical change.

6. SUBVERSIVE SPIRITUALITY - Eugene Peterson
My introduction into spiritual formation studies.

7. HUMILITY - Andrew Murray
Read during my first ministry assignment. Yes, it was humbling.

8. THE WAY TO LOVE - Anthony DeMello
It introduced me to the author and all his other works. My first non-Western thoughts.

9. THE YOUNGER EVANGELICALS - Robert Webber
How can a church be so brutal in firing a God loving, potty mouth associate pastor? Because of his mouth but also because he is a Younger Evangelical.

10. RECLAIMING GOD'S ORIGINAL INTENT FOR THE CHURCH - Roberts and Marshall.
Read while working at Starbuck's eating lunch at Chipotle. Helped focus my vision for a church just before becoming a senior pastor.

Many, many books have help to shape me. There are many I didn't include that probably deserve in my top 10. Above all I wish to be like Wesley, a man of one book, the Bible.