Saturday, August 21, 2010

Losing it All

My favorite chapter in the Bible is Philippians 3. In verse 8, Paul says...

"I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus, my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ."

I have found this to be true, though I have questioned and found it painful. In my recent transition out of vocational ministry it feels I have lost it all.
  • the church I pastored
  • my career
  • some friends
  • my credit score
  • my house
  • district support
  • my reputation
  • my possessions are in storage
  • stability for my kids
  • money, lots of it
  • my dog can't live with us
  • american amenities and luxuries
  • position, status, recognition
  • privacy, solitude, control of quiet
  • my books are in boxes
  • platform for ministry
  • neighborhood friends, routines, places
  • maybe even a portion of my faith

I don't naturally have the proper response: mourn, detach, refocus, anger, depression, paralyzed, cocoon, vengeance, cursing and cussing. I know I am not like Paul yet and far from the quality of Jesus. I lack contentment, peace, love, faith, hope and forgiveness.

It amazes me to think of what Paul lost. In the religious world of the Jews, he had it all: education, position, success, accolades, mission, status. As a Pharisee he was set for life and a 401K to retire on. Paul chose to lose it all for Jesus. Or Jesus chose Paul.