Friday, July 4, 2008

Africa - 7

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I arrived in Entebbe Tuesday night, finally catching a flight through Amsterdam. Our host, Kennedy Kirui, and Grace picked me up from the airport and I was happy to see a friendly face.

Driving - I seriously thought we would die driving on the dark roads or kill any group of people walking or on a scooter. I was told that there are rules of the road but no one follows them.

People - not enought adjectives; friendly, joyful, hospitable, knowledgable, articulate, conversive

Worship - everyone participates, true communal celebration, expressive while intimate

Teaching - very biblically literate and not willing to swallow anything without reasoning it out and making sure it is practical

Food- beans, rice, boiled bananas, meat (with lots of bones), bottled soda

So far I'm loving it. We just finished the Amahoro Institute and are staying in an Anglican guest house in Kampala, Uganda. We will next go to a children's ministry in local slums, attend a University Church and then head to Jinga on Monday.