Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Church HOPPING

During our Staff Staycation last weekend we visited 4 churches.

Radiant Church, Christ Church of the Valley, Life Church and Genesis.


Being a sensitive (or defensive) pastor I don't want to pick on any of them. So here are some general observations without identifying which church I'm describing.

VANILLA - everything is so predictable at church. I'm all for liturgy but does it have to be so bland?

PRODUCTION - churches work hard behind the scenes. all the churches used videos and click tracks and lighting effects and "quiet please, ready...action..."

QUALITY - from the bulletins to the programs things were done well.

PREACHING - disappointing. one pastor showed pictures of political figures to cartoon characters and explained why they could be the anti-Christ. two used scripture to get across the point they wanted to make. one taught the word with depth, insight and passion - i liked that.

PEOPLE - kind cattle.

Visiting other churches was a great experience and think everyone should take a weekend every year to do it. It was fun to be unknown, like a mystery shopper, and see what God is doing in Phoenix. If I didn't have a church home, I don't know where I would go. This reminds me that church is not a place to go, but relationships shared.