Monday, August 18, 2008

The Extreme Center

Why do people leave the church?
Many reasons, but this is what I have heard...

You are too CATHOLIC, You are too NAZARENE, You are too CHARISMATIC, You are too EMERGING, You are too CONSERVATIVE, You are too CONTEMPORARY, You are too EMOTIONAL, You are too MISSIONAL, You are too RELATIONAL, You are CHANGING too much etc. etc.

Fascinating because I also hear we are too the OPPOSITE of the above concerns. I sense the reformation in the Church and society today is leaving behind this dualistic thinking. This is the day for Believers of the EXTREME CENTER to quit being polarized by preferences and embrace Christ as our identity and not any other label.

The Church's unity will be found in answering Jesus' prayer in John 17 and not in doctrinal disputes or finding the gathering that meets all my intellectual needs. I resonated with Rick Warren's comments while interviewing Obama and McCain when he said that we need to learn again how to disagree without demonizing the other. AMEN!

Wesley spoke of this a long time ago:

"Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may. Herein all the children of God may unite, notwithstanding these smaller differences."

I am not there yet, but want to be. I look forward to the day when we are too JESUS.